Featured Release: Community – The Complete Third Season
So, time for a little rant. I have NO IDEA how Big Bang Theory has become the hit amongst the geek community it has. The show is incredibly condescending and plays up stereotypes as old as Urkel asking for cheese (seriously, when is that crossover going to happen?). After hearing there was finally a sitcom geared towards geeks, I was excited to watch BBT when it premiered. Not only did I not like the show, I was ENRAGED by it. The show literally features the biggest cliché of all: the nerdy guys getting “pantsed” by the jock-y douchebag.
Meanwhile, a couple channels down the dial and living in near obscurity is a show that embraces the community faithfully and honestly. It goes down to the old saying: Big Bang Theory laughs “at” the geeks, NBC’s Community not only laughs with us but often tells jokes that would probably go over the heads of “normies”.
A show about a disgraced former lawyer having to go to community college and his bizarre study group doesn’t overtly seem like it’d have geek appeal. But this season’s episodes seemingly pay loving tribute to all things geeks are passionate about:
- Geography of Global Conflict (Episode 2): When the college has two Model UN clubs, there can only be one explanation, which every comics fan would know… Parallel universes!
- Remedial Chaos Theory (Episode 4): Ever argue with a friend over whose turn it is to get up and get the next BEvERage? Ever wonder what the consequences would have been if someone else had gotten up? Well, likely not much would change, but in this episode we see the fallout as the story breaks into 7 different timelines, each dependent on a different member of the study group getting up to pick up pizza. Evil Abed!
- Foosball and Nocturnal Vigilantism (Episode 9): This episode is chockfull of geeky references, including a brief Anime-style animated sequence. In addition, when his special, limited-edition copy of The Dark Knight goes missing, Abed dons the cowl to discover what happened to it.
- Digital Estate Planning (Episode 20): Probably the geekiest of episodes this season, this one features the group having to enter an 8-bit virtual reality RPG to secure the inheritance of one of the gang.
Community – The Complete Third Season arrives on store shelves today. If I piqued your interest in the series but you don’t have the money for the set – or maybe just want to give it a try first – all three seasons are available on Hulu.
New Home Video Releases:
- Astonishing X-Men: Torn (DVD)
- Community – The Complete Third Season (DVD)
- Dexter – The Complete Sixth Season (BR/DVD)
- Doctor Who: Spearhead from Space (DVD)
- Doctor Who: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy (DVD)
- Fallen (BR)
- Glee – The Complete Third Season (BR/DVD)
- Jaws – Universal 100th Anniversary (BR)
- Jay and Silent Bob Get Old (DVD)
- The Raid: Redemption (BR/DVD)
- Romeo Must Die (BR)
- Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation (DVD)
New Video Game Releases:
- Darksiders II (PC/PS3/X360)
- Dust: An Elysian Tail (X360)
- Iron Brigade (PC)
- The Last Story (Wii)
- Mama’s Combo Pack (DS)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
- Papo & Yo (PS3)
- Sleeping Dogs (PS3/X360)